Bourey Law Offices
Helping Clients For More Than 35 Years
Trusted Divorce, Family Law, Bankruptcy, and Estate Planning Practice.

Decatur Guardianship Lawyer

If you have questions regarding how to handle financial or other matters involving a minor or a disabled adult, you should call our office for a free consultation. We will explain the law to you recommend a course of action and tell you how much we would charge for our services.

General Information

Guardianships are used so that one might “be in charge of” another persons property or person. They are used for minors whose parents are not able to take care of him or her for some reason and for disabled adults. There are two types of guardianships, guardian of the estate and guardian of the person. Usually a person will be appointed guardian for both purposes.

The procedure for being appointed guardian usually takes around 4-6 weeks. In order to be appointed guardian of a disabled adult, one must file with the court a report of a physician certifying that a guardianship is necessary. If one wants to place the disabled adult in a nursing care facility, separate permission to do so must be obtained from the court. After being appointed guardian of someone’s estate, the guardian must file an annual report with the court explaining all monies received and disbursed during that year.